High Points of Spiritual Care Services at Fair Acres
Over 150 Spiritual Care volunteers offer their time and talent to our residents through: companionship, worship services, Bible study, rosary, music and more. The volunteers desire to enhance the spiritual life of residents in many ways.
Our Daily Bread and Living Faith, meditative booklets, are distributed to residents who desire them. Bibles are available to residents for Bible study and prayer thanks to the generosity of friends of Fair Acres and the Gideons. Baskets filled with donated spiritual items are maintained in residence buildings for the benefit of residents, family and staff.
Volunteers provide hand-crafted lap afghans and blankets to residents as needed.
- A Spiritual Care monthly calendar posts the activities and events provided by volunteers for our residents.
- Every Sunday, worship services are provided by Spiritual Care volunteers from various faith communities. Also, Eucharistic Ministers bring
- Communion to residents who desire to receive.
- Blessing of the staff’s hands, an expression of thanks for compassionate care given to residents, is seasonally organized by Spiritual Care Services. This event is strongly desired and immensely appreciated. Hospice teams, volunteers and staff assist in sharing the blessing.
- A Memorial Service is offered each autumn for the families who have had a loved one die at Fair Acres. The families find this a great consolation.Memorial services are provided throughout the year as requested by family or staff for unusual circumstances.
- During Passover, a Seder Service and Passover Meal are held for our Jewish residents.
- On Ash Wednesday, Eucharistic Ministers from St. Francis de Sales Church distribute ashes to our facility.
Spiritual Care responds to requests to be at the bedside of a dying resident to offer prayer, comfort and support to family. The Sacrament of Anointing is offered at request of a resident, or as a resident begins hospice.
Spiritual Care regularly interfaces with other care providers to assist residents with spiritual needs. We communicate with hospice providers to consider ways to improve provision of compassionate care to our residents.
Spiritual Care encourages volunteers, that each will be mindful of reverence and respect for residents, and attentive to working with the care providers.